Establishing & Managing the Project Management Office
Establishing & Managing the Project Management Office Course Details:
In this course, you will gain the relevant knowledge and skills to establish, operate, and improve a project management office (PMO) and to work with PMO staff in a way that maximizes the value projects produce for your organization.
You will review the advantages of running a successful PMO and learn how to set up a PMO that is appropriately positioned within the organization. You will explore the various types of PMOs and the various review and auditing functions that they can perform, and you will explore why PMOs might perform below expectations and learn how to improve and revitalize PMO performance.
Students pursuing a university-recognized and/or accredited certificate in Canada or continuing education units in the US must attend at least 90% of class time, participate in class exercises and section-knowledge checks, and score at least 70% on an end-of-class, multiple-choice assessment.
Call (919) 283-1653 to get a class scheduled online or in your area!
1. PMO Overview
- The Function of the PMO
- The PMO and Project Success
2. Establish a PMO
- The Steps to Establish a PMO
- The PMO Charter
- Barriers to Establishing a PMO
- The PMO Value Proposition
- PMO Revitalization
3. Project Controls, Failure, and Recovery
- Overview of Project Control
- Project Audits
- Project Health and Additional Control Measures
- Project Recovery and Termination
4. PMO Assessment
5. PMO Trends and Moving Forward
- PMO Trends
- Tips for Starting a PMO
*Please Note: Course Outline is subject to change without notice. Exact course outline will be provided at time of registration.
- The value and advantages a PMO can have for an organization
- Steps required to establish and implement a PMO in a way that is beneficial for the organization over time
- Trends of PMO value production and reasons for these trends
- Techniques to revitalize and improve the performance of an existing PMO that has fallen short of delivering the intended value for the organization
- Different views of the role of the PMO and how to define an applicable role based on the organizational environment
- Models and ways for the PMO to define success and produce value for all stakeholders
- Importance of periodic evaluations of projects, processes, and competency to provide an objective view of expectations and performance
- Assess the Current State of Your PMO
- Define Project Success Criteria
- Write a PMO Charter
- Define PMO Value
- Develop Project Health Measurements
- Create a PMO Recovery Plan for a Project
- Develop a PMO Assessment
- Reassess the Current State of Your PMO
PMO sponsors, project sponsors, someone who has the mandate for a PMO or wants a PMO to exist, someone who runs the PMO, program managers, project managers who need to understand how they support and get support from the PMO, someone actively involved in operating or establishing a PMO